Transfers & Eligibility
First Claim Transfers
There is a now an online process for registered athletes moving their first claim membership between Welsh Athletics affiliated clubs.
(This online process is for changing clubs within Wales only. If you are transferring to a club elsewhere in the UK you will need to complete the paper application form from the respective Home Nations Governing Body.)
Completing the online application
- Log in to your myATHLETICS portal using your own URN and password.
- Once logged in, click on the “Club Transfer” tab found on the left-hand side of the screen. This will bring up the “First Claim Club Transfer” screen
- To start the change of club application, click on the “start new transfer” button.
- Enter the name of the new club you are transferring to in the relevant space and enter any comments you want to send to the club you are wishing to leave. Once both boxes are completed, click the box in the bottom left-hand corner once you have read and agreed with the terms and conditions for the transfer. If exempt from payment (U15s) you will be taken to the transfer complete screen.
- Billing Information. Please complete the marked boxes for the address your payment card is registered to and then click the “review and pay” button.
- Review your details are correct on the next screen and check the confirmation box in the bottom left-hand of the screen, and then click on the “go to payment” button to proceed to the next screen.
- Select your payment method and enter the request card details. Once entered click on the “Pay £10 now” button and complete your change of club transfer.
A club transfer complete screen will appear giving details of the next stage of the process and contact details for Welsh Athletics. You will be kept informed on the progress of your application by email.
The Welsh Athletics transfer committee meet once a month to discuss and approve applications submitted by athletes in order to:
- move from a first claim club to another or
- move to a higher claim club for British League
- obtain eligibility to compete for Wales.
Athletes are now also able to submit their transfer requests online via their myAthletics portal.
Eligibility Criteria to compete for Wales
Grounds for eligibility:
- Parentage - athlete to go through the eligibility system to prove they have a Welsh parent.
- Residency – 3 years continuous living in Wales. Athlete to go through the eligibility system to prove they have lived permanently in Wales for at least 3 years.
- Retention – athletes who have competed for Wales at senior level and gone through the eligibility system but have moved out of Wales. (has previously gone through eligibility on residency grounds.
If you have any queries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you are moving from a Welsh club to an English club you will need to complete the paper transfer form and send to England Athletics.
- If you are moving from an English club to a Welsh club you will need to complete the paper transfer form and send to Welsh Athletics.
- NOTE: All athletes who have been registered with a club within the last 3 years will need to go through the transfer process.
In addition to an athlete having a First Claim Club an athlete is permitted to become a member of a Second Claim Club. Whilst this may be for social, coaching, or other reasons, that athlete may compete for that Club in competitions that specifically state in its rules that its competition is open to Second Claim Members. Such an athlete is hereafter defined as a Second Claim Member. Any club that accepts a Second Claim Member must confirm with Welsh Athletics that the athlete is already registered through their first claim club.
- Applications must be received by the tenth of the month and will take effect from the first day of the following month. Any applications received after the tenth will be held over to the next month.
- Most transfers are automatic now, but if an athlete makes a second transfer application within a twelve month period the transfer date is not the first of the following month but takes effect three months later. In certain circumstances athletes are eligible to appeal against this decision.
- Both clubs and athletes are entitled to appeal against the decisions of the Eligibility Committee on transfer matters.
- Athletes are reminded that all applications to compete on a higher competition basis must be received by 1 March. These applications apply for one year only and are renewable each season.
Where a Club has not registered for Open/Team Competition in a particular discipline, then the athlete can join another Club for First Claim Open Team Competition solely for the purpose of competition in that discipline. Should the athlete wish to register for First Claim Other they must complete the Other Discipline Form and send to Welsh Athletics for processing. Each year the athlete must register with Welsh Athletics through their First Claim Club.
Under UKA Rules, individuals may apply to become "second claim members" of clubs competing in higher-level competitions. The requirement of being registered with Welsh Athletics and fulfilling eligibility criteria remain valid in order to compete in the Welsh Championships.
All applications are valid for one year only and must be renewed annually.
Any athlete has the right and ability to end their Welsh Athletics membership at any point throughout the membership year.
Any athlete wishing to no longer be affiliated to Welsh Athletics, must write to email@example.com stating their wish to cancel their membership, the person must state their first claim (and second claim if relevant) club and their URN as confirmation of their decision. Welsh Athletics will then inform the club that the athlete is no longer registered with Welsh Athletics and will be removed from the platform as an active member.
The Welsh Athletics membership fee will not be refunded, the athlete will need to request any club membership fees to be reimbursed directly with the relevant club.
Welsh Athletics will write to the athlete informing them that their membership has been cancelled, the date of this correspondence will be the effective date of the cancellation.
The athlete will be able to re-register with Welsh Athletics at the start of the next affiliation year following the normal club membership process.