Development and Performance
Competing for Wales
The overall objective of the International Competitions programme is to prepare Welsh athletes to perform at the best of their ability at Major Championship events. As part of that strategy, Welsh Athletics is committed to providing International competition opportunities across all disciplines.
To be considered to represent Wales, athletes must satisfy the Eligibility Criteria laid out below.
2023 Commonwealth Youth Games
Track & Field
- 23 April 2023 - Warsaw Race Walking Cup
- May 21 – Loughborough International
- 26 August 2023 – WA U20 International - Welsh Athletics Team
- Welsh Athletics International Match Selection Standards
*We are currently working with the Track and Field Committee about the potential of event specific representative opportunities in the Walks, Throws and Combined Events.*
Cross Country & Road
- 9 February 2023 – Armagh 5k Annual International Road Race
- 5 March 2023 – Trafford 10k
- 12 March 2023 – Lisbon Half Marathon
- 2 April 2023 – Anglo Celtic Cup – 100k Championships
- 22 April 2023 - TCS Mini-London Marathon
- 12 August 2023 - Podium 5km Home Countries
Mountain and Trail
- 27 May 2023 - Trail de Guerledan icluding the Celtic Challenge
- 27 May 2023 – WMRA International U18 Cup
- 15 July 2023 – International Snowdon Race, including Senior Home Countries
- 10 September 10 2023 – British & Irish Junior Mountain Running Championships
- 22 October 2023 – Trofeo Vanoni Relays
- 25 March 25 2023 – SIAB XC
- July 2023 – SIAB Track and Field
- 26 August 2023 - WA U20 International - Welsh Schools Team
- November 2023 – Scottish Schools Combined Events - Policy TBC
- 2 December 2023 - Cardiff Met Schools Combined Events International
- 12 March 2023 – Chester 10km
- 21 May 2023 – Chester Half Marathon
- 25 August 2023 – Mid Chester 5km
- 8 October 2023 – Chester Marathon
If you are interested in becoming a Team Manager at one of our upcoming Welsh Represenative opportunties please complete the following Team Manager Expressions of Interest Form and notify Bethan Davies (Performance Logistics Assistant) of your interest by emailing email@example.com
Eligibility Criteria to compete for Wales
Grounds for eligibility:
- Parentage - athlete to go through the eligibility system to prove they have a Welsh parent.
- Residency – 3 years continuous living in Wales. Athlete to go through the eligibility system to prove they have lived permanently in Wales for at least 3 years.
- Retention – athletes who have competed for Wales at senior level and gone through the eligibility system but have moved out of Wales. (has previously gone through eligibility on residency grounds.