Benefits for new members joining Welsh Athletics in January 2024
Considering getting involved in Athletics or Running in 2024? Athletics clubs have something for everyone, from Run, Jump, Throw, to ‘Couch to 5K’ programmes to support you in making the changes to a heathier you!
What is the benefit?
- New members to Welsh Athletics that register in January 2024 will receive a 15-month Welsh Athletics registration.
- New members will not need to re-new their Welsh Athletics affiliation fee until April 1st, 2025.
- Find out what your Welsh Athletics membership includes here.
What is a new member?
- A new Welsh Athletics member is someone that has not been affiliated to Welsh Athletics (or another home country athletic federation) before or has not been affiliated to Welsh Athletics within the last 3 years.
What is Welsh Athletics Affiliation?
- To become a member of Welsh Athletics you must affiliate through your club and pay the Welsh Athletics affiliation fee of £19.50 (senior athletes) or £12.00 (junior athletes). This is an annual fee due each April (although some clubs may collect this earlier in preparation for the new affiliation year). Usually, you will need to pay a club membership fee to your club too, this varies across clubs in Wales so check with your club to understand their fee and process. You can find your nearest Welsh Athletics Affiliated Club here. If you can’t find a club local to you or are unable to get to club training sessions and would prefer a virtual option, you can check out our virtual running club, Clwb Run Wales here.
- Joining Welsh Athletics as a member includes various benefits including; discounts on races and coach education, discounts at various retailers such as Sportshoes, Runderwear & Aftershokz, and individual insurance. Your membership also supports the sport of Athletics (including running/jogging) locally here in Wales, supporting initiatives that enable the sport to function, thrive and bring new opportunities to all across Wales.
How do I sign up?
- If you’re not already a member of a local Welsh Athletics Affiliated club, find your nearest club and get in touch with them. They will be delighted to welcome you to their club and talk you through the process of becoming a member. Find your nearest club here.
What does being part of a club mean to some of our current members?
Dave – Albany Road Run Club shared:
Joining a running club opens up a whole new world for you. Yes it's nervous going along the first time but 5 minutes in you'll realise you had nothing to worry about. Find the right club and you'll have found your tribe - new running adventures, new socialising, and you'll find your running improving all the time. Clubs are not just for fast people either. There are clubs to suit all types of runners. Give it a try, you won't regret it.
Why do I like being part of a run club? Where do I start?
- Super supportive and knowledgeable run friends.
- Discovering masses of new run routes
- Relay racing (with real batons!) for the first time in primary school and braving cross-country
- Post-run coffees/cakes/brunches/fizz!
Cian – Cardiff Athletics also added:
Joining Cardiff AC has led to me improving all physical, mental and social aspects of my life. Progressing to now being part of a fantastic group of athletes which I'm able to share a like-minded passion/obsession for running and a spirit for competition which I'm able to apply to every area of my life, which has given me the drive to do my best at everything I try.
Euan - Deeside AAC
I have been a member of Deeside AC for many years now and have always felt at home with the support of the Coaches and other athletes. This has not only supported my physical but mental health and given me a thriving social life; as-well as allowing me to compete!