Welsh Athletes star at SIAB
18/07/2022 00:00, In Blog / Track & Field / School News /
Saturday 16th July was the highlight of the Welsh Schools Athletic Association summer programme with the return of the 2022 Schools International Athletic Board’s U17 Track & Field International.
It saw the top athletes from English Schools, Scottish Schools, Welsh Schools and hosts Irish Schools compete at the Mary Peters Track in Belfast over a 7-hour timetable.
A team of 63 athletes (30 boys and 33 girls) from more than forty schools across Wales were selected to represent the Welsh Schools Athletic Association Team in this traditional showpiece event. Aharon Graham Mulvaney (Monmouth School for Boys) and Gracie Griffiths (Haverfordwest High) accepted the invitation to be this year’s male and female team captains.
Following the early morning start by coach to Holyhead and ferry across to Ireland, the team arrived at their accommodation on Friday evening ahead of the competition which began on the field on Saturday morning.
The majority of athletes selected were from the Middle age group (U17) with a small number of second year outstanding Juniors (U15) selected too.
The young athletes were supported over the weekend by an experienced management team and coaches.
A tally of thirteen medals were won by Welsh Schools athletes which included five golds, the best overall tally achieved since 2018. A successful day ended on a high, with three of the 4 x 100m, 4 x 300m and 4 x 400m relay teams finishing on the podium.
2022 Welsh Schools Athletic Association Team
For other members of the squad, there were many season and personal bests set across several disciplines, valuable experiences gained, and new friendships made.
Medallists were as follows:
GOLD / AUR
- Gracie Griffiths (Haverfordwest High) 3000m Walk – 14:30.20 (Welsh Record)*
- Sophie Lisk (Cardiff High School) 80m Hurdles – 11.31
- Benjamin Parker (Aberdare Community School) Long Jump – 7.01m
- Jessica Lee (Dyffryn Taf) Long Jump – 6.06m (Welsh Record)*
- Lewie Jones (Olchfa) Javelin – 61.01m
SILVER / ARIAN
- Nell Desir (Radyr) 100m – 11.92 (U15 electronic time Welsh Record)*
- 4 x 100m Relay – Eli Jones (Llantwit Major School), Jessica Lee (Dyffryn Taf), Sophie Lisk (Cardiff High School), Nell Desir (Radyr) – 46.97
- 4 x 400m Relay – Kane Smart (Ysgol Emrys Ap Iwan), Harrison Garcia (YG Gwyr), Jack Organ (Gwernyfed High School), Callum Fox-Byrne (Rhyl High School) – 3:22.07
Boys 4x400m Relay
BRONZE / EFYDD
- Benjamin Parker 400m (Aberdare Community School) – 50.32
- Jack Organ (Gwernyfed High School) – 1:54.43
- Lily Noble (Flint High) 300m Hurdles – 44.27
- Aharon Graham Mulvane (Monmouth School for Boys) Pole Vault – 3.85m
- 4 x 300m Relay – Millie Webb (Llantwit Major School), Anais Shepperd (Radyr), Lilly Noble (Flint High), Lucy Wintle (Ysgol Bro Preseli) – 2:45.07
Girls 4x300m Relay
**Welsh Records subject to ratification.
Also awarded on the day were the Charlie & Mona Hughes Awards which go to the most meritorious performances at the event (male and female). Congratulations to both Jessica Lee and Benjamin Parker, this year’s recipients after their victories in the long jump.
Thank you from Welsh Schools Athletic Association and team leader Mr Zane Maynard (WSAA International Secretary – Morriston Comprehensive) goes to…
All Welsh Schools Athletic Association Support Staff, Officers and SIAB delegates who supported the team in Belfast
Welsh Athletics for their assistance with the team administration and financial support towards this event
Irish Schools Athletics for organising an excellent fixture and for their hospitality throughout the weekend
Army of parents, family members and coaches who also made the journey from Wales
Well done and congratulations to every young Welsh School athlete who produced excellent individual and team results at Saturday’s international. Da iawn a llongyfarchiadau i athletwyr ifanc Ysgolion Cymru ar eu canlyniadau unigol a thîm rhagorol Dydd Sadwrn.
Full Results can be found here
Looking ahead to 12 months’ time, the SIAB Schools U17 Track & Field International in 2023 will be hosted by Scottish Schools in Grangemouth.