The Weekend Round Up - Match 3 of the National Athletics League
09/08/2021 00:00, In Blog / Track & Field /
National Athletics League
At the 3rd NAL in Yate, it was another great weekend of club athletics.
The highlights of the weekend came from the men and women's 100m sprint as Jeremiah Azu [Helen James] and Hannah Brier [Matt Elias] won their races in emphatic style.
Jeremiah Azu won comfortably won his race in 10.30, a whole 0.50s quicker than 2nd place, and for Hannah Brier, it wasn't only a great win, but also a great return to form ahead of the 2021 Welsh Senior & U15 Championships this coming weekend #2021WelshChamps. Brier took the win in a similar dominance as Azu. Brier took the win in 11.34 with 2nd place running 11.86. This would have been a new Welsh Record as well as a 2022 Birmingham Commonwealth Games qualifier unfortunately the performance didn't have a legal wind reading, it was 0.7m/s over the allowable limit.
Nevertheless, both sprinters are showing fine form heading into the weekend.
Other noteworthy performances came from:
- Amy Oduniya [Dave Norton] - clocking a sub 24 seconds in the 200m. Amy ran 23.99 seconds to take the victory.
- Rebecca Chapman [Gareth Hopkins] - jumped 6.49cm Long Jump, unfortunately, it was with a +2.9 wind.
- Rhiannon Linnington-Payne [Matt Elias] - took the victory in the 400m running 55.85.
- Lauren Cooper - ran a new PB over the 2000m SC, Cooper ran 6:49.23.
- Wales’ top 4 heptathletes took 9 Personal Bests between them at the NAL across 5 different events. Lauren Evans (shot, Javelin), Lauryn Davey (hurdles, Jav, LJ), Grace Morgan (hurdles, 200), Jodi Beynon (Hurdles 200)
Here are the current standings:
Find the full results here: Yate National Athletics League Results
England U15/U17 Championships
It was a great championship weekend in Sportcity at the England U15/U17 Championships.
There was a total of 1 Gold 3 Silvers and 1 Bronze.
- Frank Morgan took the gold in the U17m 3000m final in 8:28.83.
- Jac Patterson took the silver in the U17m 200m final in 22.03.
- Nell Desir took the silver in the U15G 200m final with 26.00.
- Joseph Berry took the silver in the U15B 200m final with 22.47.
- Aron Tugwell took the bronze in the U15B 200m final with 22.53.
Congratulations to all of the athletes who took part in the England U15/U17 Championships!