The Cardiff 5km Race for Victory
27/04/2022 00:00, In Blog / Road /
The Cardiff 5km Race for Victory returns to its normal May bank holiday date this year. With a fantastic late summer event last year, this year looks to be hotting up to be just as good. Held in the leafy suburb of Whitchurch Village, it has become widely regarded as one the best 5k races in the country.
The race is host to the Welsh 5km Road Racing Championships and the Inter Area Match, which always brings together strong fields.Entries for this years Welsh Championships are looking strong, headed by Jake Smith of Cardiff Athletics, who just last week won the Bristol Track Club 5k in a time of 14:21. He will have to be on best form, as James Hunt (Cardiff) is down to tackle the 5km distance too. The Welsh international has been training at high altitude in Flagstaff, so if he starts, he will be bringing with him some Flagstaff fitness to the table!
Another Cardiff athlete, Lloyd Sheppard is also set to run, and with a personal best of 14:42, he will be in the mix to become Welsh 5km Road Champion!
Matthew Edwards (Cardiff) is also on the start list, he ran 14:40 at the event last year and has been steadily improving this year, finishing in the top 5 at this years Welsh National Championships.
In the Women’s event, Charlotte Arter (Cardiff), who ran the course record last year, of 15:28, heads the Women's field, and is fresh off a 15:30 performance from Stanford last month. Anna Bracegirdle (Salford), just fresh off her marathon personal best and Commonwealth Games Nomination standard of 2:34:20 is also entered and will be looking to add this title to her recent performances. Olivia Tsim (Pontypridd) has been stringing together a lot of strong performances recently. With a personal best of 16:43, set this year in Battersea Park, she will be looking to make the podium.
Moli Lyons (Cardiff) is making her way towards the senior ranks, and will look to stick her nose in to the action. With a PB of 17:44, it looks like it is time for this to be renewed!
The Welsh team list for the event can be found here:
- Olivia Tsim (Pontypridd AC)
- Angharad Davies (A.D. Sprint, Antonio Serrano)
- Anna Bracegirdle (Salford Harriers & AC, James Thie)
- Charlotte Arter (Cardiff Athletics, Chris Jones)
- Matt Edwards (Cardiff Athletics, Jeff Seddon)
- Paul Graham (Pontypridd Roadents, Rob Hawkins)
- Abed Teweldebrhan (Newport Harriers AC, Michael Adams)
- Moli Lyons (Cardiff Athletics, Liz Davies)
- Rhiannon Paton (Westbury Harriers/Oxford University, Matt Seddon)
- Adam Barber (Harborough Athletics, Pete Leach)
- Finley Hines (Swansea, George)
- Jack Davies (Derby AC, Paul Martin)
The race kicks off at 19:00 on May 1st!
For more information on the event, click here