Disability & Para-Coaching Development Initiative September Update
28/09/2021 00:00, In Blog / Track & Field /
This disability coaching Initiative is a partnership project with Disability Sport Wales. The aim is to create a better overall picture, and shared awareness, of coaches across Wales providing inclusive training opportunities for all young people across Wales.
The partnership will also offer coaches the opportunity to develop the knowledge, skills and coaching process when working with athletes with a variety of impairments by engaging in;
- DSW Performance Pathway Days
- DSW & Welsh Athletics Focus Group Days
- Welsh Athletics Regional Development Days
- Mentoring opportunities
Please see below our coaches and their clubs who currently engaged in the project:
- Gwennan Lewis – Cardiff Archers/ Cardiff AAC
- Jude Gooding – Swansea Harriers
- Glyn Pugh – Rhondda AC
- Bethan Davies – Unaffiliated
- Anna Paterson – Rhymney Valley AC
- Lorraine Mulvaney – Cardiff AAC
- Clive Boulton – Wrexham AAC
- Jake Morgan - Carmarthen Harriers
- Jaz Barraclough – Newport Harriers
- Jason Elworthy – Barry & Vale AC
“I really enjoyed the day and was blown away by the determination and focus of the young people. I learnt that any exercise can be adapted and there is always an alternative option. I had so much fun and hope I can attend other events in the future.”
Anna Paterson, Rhymney Valley AC Coach
Development Opportunities 2022
- 8th Jan South Wales Performance Pathway Hub - Cardiff ( Venue TBD)
Multi-Sport Skills Development & Self-Management/Recovery
- 7th May North Wales Performance Pathway Hub – Venue TBD
Multi-Sport Skills Development & Fundamental Movements
- 9Th July Mid Wales Performance Pathway Hub – Brecon( Venue TBD)
Multi-Sport Skills Development & Practical Nutrition Workshop
In addition to these multi-sport facing sessions, which are underpinned by running, jumping and throwing, throughout the year there will be a series of impairment, or Athletics event group focus days, where coaches can development knowledge and skills aligned to para-athletics coaching.
If coaches are currently supporting disabled people to access our sport in the club environments, we want to hear about it. Please get in touch so we can work together to raise awareness about the great opportunities out there in our sport.
If you are keen to develop your knowledge and skills in working with all athletes across Wales and would like be invited to the development days, please complete the expression of interest form in this link.