Welsh Athletics – Benefits of Affiliation and Registration
Athlete registration forms part of the UKA Rules for competition. Eligibility to enter competitions as a club or individual depends on affiliation (club) and registration (individual) status. Please see www.britishathletics.org.uk/competitions/rules for full information.
Benefits to Individual Registered Welsh Athletics Athletes:
- Insurance cover to protect you whilst you take part in the sport.
- Every registered member will be issued with a unique registration number and access to an individual profile on the UK registration system.
- An individual athlete profile linked to the Power of 10 / Run Britain.
- All registered members receive £10 off entry to the Cardiff University Cardiff Half Marathon. In addition, affiliated club registered members also receive a £2 discount on race entry fees across a number of licenced road race events.
- You will be eligible for discounted coaching courses fees when accessing the formal coach education pathway. (Leadership in Running Fitness, Coaching Assistant, Athletics Coach and Coach in Running Fitness qualification).
- Welsh Athletics also provides a year-round competition programme across all disciplines, all age groups, all ability levels and all regions. Club members are eligible to compete at championship events (regional and national) as well as international opportunities (as appropriate).
- All registered members also receive a 10% discount at Run and Become and 10% discount at Moti Running Store
- Access to national and regional events, seminars, conferences and technical workshops which support coaches, officials, athletes and volunteers across the sport.
- Eligibility for offers from British Athletics events.
- You will also receive (optional) regular newsletters and updates from Welsh Athletics keeping you up to date with the latest news stories and developments across the sport.
The Importance of Affiliation and Registration in Athletics:
Club affiliation and athlete registration are a vital part of the sport of athletics. They bring great benefits which allow the sport to function effectively and fairly. The reasons a club should affiliate and athletes should be registered include:
- Clubs and athletes that are affiliated or registered with Welsh Athletics have rights with regards to support, services and resources. These benefits include insurance, club places at the London Marathon, specialist coaching visits to clubs and preferential entries to events. To administer these and other benefits fairly and effectively it is important for us to know who our affiliated clubs and registered athletes are.
- Athletes and clubs have the right to fair competition. Both clubs and athletes have the right to compete in confidence that they are competing against legitimate opposition, and not against opposition which is ineligible. For appropriate checks, monitoring and enforcement to be made affiliation and registration are necessary.
- Both clubs and individual athletes have the right to information. They have the right to be contacted directly with essential information about the sport rather than having to rely on this being passed on indirectly or second-hand. Registration allows this to happen and for each athlete to make personal decisions about whether to receiving different types of non-essential information. This also reduces the burden on other people, often volunteers, who would otherwise be relied upon to communicate this information.
- Athletes and clubs have the right to have their voice heard, and to have a say in how the sport is run. This requires two-way communication between Welsh Athletics, its affiliated clubs and its registered athletes – the club affiliation and individual registration scheme enables this to happen
- Athletes and clubs have the right to know that appropriate standards are upheld in the areas of health, safety and welfare when they are participating in the sport. Licensing and registration help to enable the monitoring and enforcement necessary for the observance of these standards throughout the sport
- The information and communication that is made possible through club affiliation and athlete registration also help us to provide clubs and athletes with support and opportunities to help them maximise their potential and get as much enjoyment from the sport as possible.